Subject: [Leica] M8 notes during use.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Jun 13 21:11:13 2007

Gene said & asked:

Subject: Re: [Leica] M8 notes during use.

> [...]

now.  ;-)

By the way you shooting jpeg or dng?  Yea, I know you probably never even
thought to check or set it.<<<<<<<<<<

Hi gene,

I have to confess after many attempts of coping with RAW on other digi
cameras or whatever it is in the M8, I shoot JPEG! Oh jeeeeesh now I'll be
in the glue for that one. ;-)

ted

-------------- Original message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>:
--------------

> M8 assignment experience:

> After several months of shooting assignments and fun stuff with an M8 I'll

> say again..it's 40 years too late! :-)

> While doing my assignments during the past half century my M cameras were

> predominantly loaded with B&W simply because they were. Colour was used
with

> R bodies of one model or other. The rare occasion for colour slide film in

> an M was due to shooting in the black holes of hell of non-existing light

> when I'd be working the Noctilux @ f1.0 with a 2 or 3 stop push for any
kind

> of image. One might say a tad "grainy" ;-) Nice effect though. Or
Kodachrome

> indoors where others feared to go without a Twinkie light flash. :-)

> The arrival of the M8 and the horror stories of "Magenta cast" did create

> some concern, although it never bothered me as the M8 was destined to be

> used as a B&W camera no different than previous M's.

> But I began to shoot colour, converting to B&W. Oh sometimes there'd be an

> "odd looking" colour frame, but I'd be shooting in a mixture of light

> sources, so my response was a shrug of the shoulders and .. "Oh what the

> hell I suppose that's the magenta thing!" If I were to keep it in colour
for

> some reason I'd move on with a bit of tweaking in PS as close as looking
OK.

> But no big deal, because it was mixed light and who was going to say

> anything about good, bad or ugly light. "Hell man it was in a night club
and

> all weird colours, so big deal magenta, get a life!"

> The odd time shooting out doors requiring colour I've seen a light

> "warming." But once again. "no big deal if it looks neat!" If it didn't

> it's called PhotoShop! ;-) History.

> But I don't have a complaint about this magical machine, yeah I know it's

> just another digital camera, or is it?

> Consider the background experience of the hands that have held M cameras
for

> a half century day after day. Some assignments months at a time every day.

> Not the 9-5 routine, weekends off. But first light to last every day on
the

> shoot.

> Now move that time to the M8 of today with no thought of "frame 36, damn I

> have to change film usually at the most inopportune photo moment!" I can
go

> like the wind on and on. Even though I've read about batteries not lasting

> very long, I've not encountered this. As was the case yesterday shooting

> from 8.30 am until last light and there was still power showing.

> No I don't mean a few frames, but 2, 2 gig cards filled. No I do not look
at

> the screen every five minutes, never did on the other M's so why do it
now?

> Keep the screen off, battery lasts longer! KISS! However, common sense

> dictates a spare battery should always be at the ready. Do I have one yet?

> Nope, but will have shortly. :-) But it's "never leave home without the

> charger!"

> I put a lens on and away I go as I've always done, not worrying exactly

> where the frame lines are but more about light & content. I'm working
right

> to the edges, well what sort of looks like the edges. But as close as wild

> guessing as it can be. If one wants to be absolutely exact, one should use

> an SLR. Even then you'll probably be slightly off. But you know what? Who

> cares!

> Are my M lenses key coded? Nope, I just click them on and shoot! Have I
had

> any losses because they're not black felt tip marked or whatever it is
done

> to them? Nope! Neither did I suffer any loss because my R lenses weren't

> modified either.

> I've pretty well always worked with 3 M cameras off my neck and a couple
of