Subject: [Leica] M8 notes during use.
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Thu Jun 14 11:31:54 2007

2007-06-14-00:00:45 Ted Grant:
> I have to confess after many attempts of coping with RAW on other digi
> cameras or whatever it is in the M8, I shoot JPEG! Oh jeeeeesh now I'll be
> in the glue for that one. ;-)

Oh, Ted, say it ain't so!

I share your enthusiasm for the M8 -- it's quite frankly the first
digital camera which truly feels as if it belongs in my hand -- this
after a purgatory with Canon SLRs and a desperate attempt to love the
Cosina/Epson RD1.  I can go back to my old film-M ways of getting
pictures of people being themselves without throwing up a huge bow-wave.

But...  to really pull out the absolute best picture the camera
captured, I believe you need to work from the DNG.

How about this as a compromise: why don't you set the camera to
JPEG+DNG, and just ignore the DNG files for the most part, using the
pre-boiled JPEGs as you usually do -- but save the DNG files in case you
want them later.  Then, if you take a picture you really love, and want
to make a big beautiful print with the full range of tonality, or you
take a picture you think would have been great if the highlights or
shadows had been a little less blocked, you might get inspired to see
what you can do with the DNG version of that picture.  Maybe working
from DNGs seems like too much bother for every single picture, but I
swear you'll like what you get if you keep 'em around for when you want
to make particular keeper frames sing.

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] M8 notes during use.)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] M8 notes during use.)