Subject: [Leica] 8 reel tank thanks
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jun 17 19:20:21 2007

On 6/17/07 6:44 PM, "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com> typed:

> i found that with my possibly excessively energetic agitation method,
> more and 5 rolls ended up with occasional streakiness in the end
> rolls.  i gradually settled doing 5 rolls in 2 tanks at the same time.
> as i used xtol 1+3, the times were long enough to allow filling and
> agitating 2 tanks one after the other.
>
> one suggestion i can offer is to keep track of the negs after
> processing in terms of position in the tank (bottom roll, 2nd roll,
> etc up to top roll).  that way, if you do notice any systematic
> increases in contast, or streaking, you might be able to see if
> it is the position in the stack (thereby indicating the stack
> may bee too tall).
>
> -rei

I've run most my film in 8 roll tanks. Often two at a time.
That's a half gallon of liquid going from hand to hand..
As I've said on the list over the years I don't believe an 8 roll tank which
is a cylinder which does  look at all like a ball wants too much to be
inverted. Inversion just doesn't do all that much.
I think they want to be gently rolled. Just look at them.
And yes if did a roll of heads on the white backdrop the last six shots on
the end of the roll on the outside of the reel would have a tad more density
and contrast. Easily compensated for. If most the shots got 14 seconds the
outside 6 might need 16. And 3 instead of 3.5 contrast. But split printing
made that easier and made for a total match up.
And for the last years as you know I also di Xtol 1:3 so that worked out ok
with rolling on the sink gently and slowly with no streaking at all of any
kind. 220 too in Kinderman or cheap reels. And of course 120 which is easy.
I'd invert some  cycles, roll the next.
Use masking tape to keep the rubber lids on.
They never came off.
Which is good. As I'd be out thousands of bucks on certain occasions if they
did.
Nice meeting you yesterday and hanging out at the Algonquin Round table Rei!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Hirschfeldbookcover.jpg

George S. Rabiner