Subject: [Leica] Re: First B&W
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Jun 21 10:56:21 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Alex wrote:

> Well, making a leap into a real B&W - first in my life, with manual
> processing at home.
> So far did two Tri-X 400 rolls (both in HC-110, dill. B for 6.5
> minutes
> at 20 deg.C). Still have lots to learn, but so far appears to be
> not so
> bad...
> Please check my galleries:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/alexz/All-around+local/ - last
> three images
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/alexz/portraits+and+people/ - last
> 6 images
>
> P.S. no major retouch has been done to save some time, so there is
> some
> dirt and water residue appear - still have to learn how to cope with
> these annoying issues....

Alex,

These are very nice shots. The gradation and texture of the images
make it look like you are an old pro. It's hard to believe that this
is your first attempt at film B&W, doing your own processing. Better
be careful now. B&W is addictive. Before you know it, you will be
discussing the merits of pyro vs. metol, Kodak vs. Ilford films,
mulitgrade papers, condenser vs. diffusion enlargers and all the
archaic equipment used in that ancient art.

Dust, dirt, and water spots are the curses of B&W. Maintain your
darkroom with the cleanliness of a surgical operating theater and
genuflect five time a day in the direction of Rochester.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex) ([Leica] Re: First B&W)