Subject: [Leica] Amazing Leica Sighting Today at the Mermaid Parade
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sat Jun 23 18:45:20 2007

I shoot a lot of miscellaneous events around the East Coast of the US (and
beyond).  At best, I've encountered one or, tops, two other
photographers--from hundreds in attendance--who use Leicas.

Today was a revelation.  I went to the Mermaid Parade at Coney Island (web
images from previous Mermaid Parades at  http://tinyurl.com/yuwhxq) and saw
DOZENS of people using Leicas.  Quite a few M8s, loads of M6s, M7s old M2s
and M3s--even a fellow with a iiic.  I hadn't seen that many Leicas in one
place outside of an LHSA event or an 80s camera show.

There were also quite a few film 'blads, several twin lens Rolleiflexes and
Mamiya C2/3s--and one brave soul shooting 4x5 with a Speed Graphic, while
hauling along a duffel bag filled with film holders.

My four rolls of Kodachrome go off to the lab on Monday.  I must say that
even by my exalted standards this was a 100% taste-free event.  Nothing's
like a lady dressed as the Statue of Liberty with green pasties, surrounded
by several dozen avid snapshooters.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Amazing Leica Sighting Today at the Mermaid Parade)