Subject: [Leica] Sigma DP1
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Mon Jun 25 23:23:00 2007

Victor

With a 1.7x crop factor, the Foveon is a bit smaller than a APS-C sized
sensor. But as Douglas posted, first reviews of the Sigma SD14 (DSLR), which
contains the same sensor, were not very positive concerning the noise issue.
The noise at 1600 was even called to be excessive.

Anyway, with lowlight I always prefer to get the speed by aperture value
down not ISO value up. It's not the same for me. And with more extreme light
situations f4/1600 is still not enough yet. Each stop counts, already a f2.8
would make this camera quite more attractive.

Concerning the price, it's quite normal a company does not communicate it
officially before the product is actually available. As reported on a german
dslr forum, the DP1 was shown at the CEBIT 2007 exhibition in Germany, and
Sigma representatives at the booth stated that it is to be expected between
EUR 400 to 500 - that's about the actual price of the Ricoh GR-D (and too
much, IMO).

Didier

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Sigma DP1)