Subject: [Leica] Re: Day lilies
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Jun 29 09:21:32 2007

On Jun 29, 2007, at 9:37 AM, Jim wrote:

>> When my wife's family moved to North Mississippi in 1941, a
>> neighbor gave them some Day Lilies.  My wife brought some of them
>> to Tennessee many years ago.  This Friday Flower shows that the
>> line is still as pretty as ever.
>>
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Day+Lily+June+07+sm.jpg.html
>>
>> Comments welcomed.

I like your picture - but I have bittersweet memories of day lilies.
When we moved to our house in the Hudson Valley 40 years ago, the
property was choked with day lilies. The mats of lilly root bulbs
were so thick that it was hard to put a spade into the ground. During
June, July and early August it was like living in a sea of orange.
But about 20 years ago, herds of deer migrated to the area and began
to chomp away. Day lilies are their favorite food, along with hostas
and rhododendron leaves. The 150 lb Bambi shaped rats will eat
anything green that isn't made of concrete.

No more lillies, no more hostas, no more begonias, bushes eaten up to
the six foot level (that's as high as the deer can reach). No rifle
hunting allowed in the county and I'm not too good with a bow and
arrow. The only memories of day lillies I have are pictures like
yours. Incidentally, wilted day lilly flowers mixed with eggs make a
great omlet. They are a staple of Chinese food.

Eat more venison, eat!

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Re: Day lilies)