Subject: [Leica] Re: Street photography permit
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Jun 29 09:42:49 2007

On Jun 29, 2007, at 11:58 AM, Bill Clough wrote:

>> From the New York Times:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/nyregion/29camera.html?
> ei=5090&en=71135caff6fefe6a&ex=1340769600&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&
> pagewanted=print
>
> --Bill

This might be a minority position on the LUG but I sympathize with
the intent, if not the actual implementation, of the rule. I had an
office adjacent to Gramercy Park for a number of years. The Gramercy
Park area is in the midst of the fashion photography district and is
a favorite location for movies and videos. On any given day there is
likely to be one or more shoots in progress. Streets are roped off.
Traffic is blocked. Pedestrians must detour for one or more blocks to
get to their favorite Sabretts hot dog vendor. The same is true of
other recognizable tourist sites. And that's only for commercial
films and photography. In the last couple of years the sites have
been clogged by You tube wannabes with video cameras. No argument
with the street photographer snapping pictures with a discrete Leica.
It's mostly these NYU video guys who think they are the next Steven
Spielberg.

Now I feel better.

Larry Z