Subject: [Leica] Re: Epson 1280 Now R1800
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sat Jul 7 15:49:42 2007

Ed,

You would know better than I about availability in Argentina, but I just
looked at the B&H site.  It shows the 2400 as USD $750 and $295 express mail
shipping to Argentina.  There are probably customs that take up the slack.

I bought an R1800 a couple of weeks ago, to print color on gloss/semi-gloss
papers.  Most of my printing is b&w/mono on matte papers, with an Epson 2200
and the ImagePrint RIP.  I'm OK with the paper size - most of the time I
will print 10x15 on 13x19" paper.  While I was at it, I did try the R1800
with b&w and was very pleased with the Epson b&w driver.  This was with
Innova FibaPrint White Gloss paper.  The Innova factory profile was pretty
awful, so I had a custom profile made for the R1800 by Inkjetart, and then
b&w/mono worked fine in RGB mode also.  I did not see any metamerism in
either mode, though there is still a little gloss differential.  Also, the
R1800 does leave pizza wheel marks on the heavy gloss paper, though I can
live with it.

BTW the R1800 is not exactly economical on ink either.  If you can stand to
wait for first class mail, I'll send you a few of my b&w test prints and you
can see what you think.  I did notice the separation in the first five or so
steps of the Inkjetart test target was not very good (0-100 in 5 step
increments).  Or I could send you a scan of the test targets and prints.

Ken