Subject: [Leica] M8 Sensor Cleaning
From: hellman at comcast.net (Jesse Hellman)
Date: Sun Jul 8 12:24:21 2007

Hi,

This has been discussed before but it becomes more pertinent to us
all as problems develop: sensor cleaning. After blobs appeared in sky
and background I got a Giotto bulb and used it to gently blow into
the upside down body (yes, sensor exposed). No luck. Then I tried a
harder blast. One big blob of something that won't budge. So, I got
out my trusty darkroom 5.5 power NPC loupe and after unscrewing it
could see that there were other blobs as well. More Giotto, still no
movement in the blobs.

The Giotto is new, and I squeezed it hard a few times away from the
camera to be sure there would be nothing it would deposit on the sensor.

So, is the next step an Arctic Butterfly, and if that fails a wet
cleaning with Visible Dust Sensor Clean using their swabs?

For Leica not to advise how to do it seems wrong. You can't send your
camera to Solms (yes, that's what it says and I live in Maryland! New
Jersey is a lot closer) because of a little dust.

But there seems to be nothing more fearful than the possibility of
damaging that sensor. For instance, how strongly can you use the
Giotto to blow the air? What is the experience with other methods?

I saw Frank suggested turning off the camera when changing lenses.
Sounds like good advice.

thanks for any help!

Jesse

Replies: Reply from crbirchenhall at googlemail.com (Christopher Birchenhall) ([Leica] M8 Sensor Cleaning)