Subject: [Leica] PHILOSOPHY, AGAIN
From: vroger at gmail.com (Victor Rubin)
Date: Tue Jul 10 13:46:00 2007

Hi All;
When you teach, its tough to sit there an give a final exam and not talk- so
I sit and think... I read a photo Mag. and think some more- Y'know what I
miss about film shooting?? I miss the equipment. We had a thread a couple of
days ago about equipment we wish we hadn't sold- well, the last and almost
only piece I have ever gotten rid of, was an almost new EOS 3, which I
traded for a Leica Lensed, Lumix Super Zoom. Now mind you, I used the Lumix
more in the first 3 days, than I had used the EOS3 in about 2-3 years of
ownership. I mean, I almost NEVER used that EOS. When I used it I was amazed
at the wonderful results. The problem with that camera, and the fact that I
went almost seamlessly into digital was, because that camera (which was the
last SLR I bought) was more computer than camera. Sure, I know, they are all
like that. But still, I yearn for the old days (now typified ONLY by the M8)
of cameras that made photos, not images. At the LUG gathering in NY some
weeks ago, someone pointed out that next door, there was a class going on in
the ICP School, in which they were teaching basic *photo *technique.
AMAZING! One of the casualties of the digital revolution is the average kid
who gets his digital- and somehow, somewhat akin to the days where 35mm was
the rage, immediately thinks he's a photographer. The difference was that
when I did it in high school I had toi learn the basics of shooting. Just
like the fact that they use calculators in math classes these days, I had to
calculate in my head- I could shoot without a meter in any light- I learned
to bracket AND UNDERSTOOD WHAT BRACKETING MEANT.  Ahh, I'm just bellyaching.
I'm here to stay in the digital revolution. My Leicas, Canons, Nikons,
Konicas, etc. etc.etc. remain in the shelf- I ain't gonna sell any of them.
I have them, and yet...I miss them. vroger

P.S. Here's an image- Enthusiastic lady- problem is that the enthusiasm, is
directed, but the image doesn't show at what- anyway, I liked the moment.

http://vroger.smugmug.com/gallery/2321992/4/171597554/Large

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] PHILOSOPHY, AGAIN)
Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] PHILOSOPHY, AGAIN)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] PHILOSOPHY, AGAIN)