Subject: [Leica] PHILOSOPHY,
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jul 12 16:57:40 2007

Victor Rubin offered:

Subject: [Leica] PHILOSOPHY, AGAIN

>>> At the LUG gathering in NY some weeks ago, someone pointed out that next
door, there was a class going on in the ICP School, in which they were
teaching basic *photo *technique.

AMAZING! One of the casualties of the digital revolution is the average kid
who gets his digital- and somehow, somewhat akin to the days where 35mm was
the rage, immediately thinks he's a photographer. The difference was that
when I did it in high school I had to learn the basics of shooting.<<<<<<<<

Hi Victor,

You've pretty well said it all above about much of the photography we see
flooding the world these days due to digital cameras making it so easy most
people don't have the faintest idea what the basics are, let alone what
makes a photographic moment special. Today people take digi in hand with
nothing more than an instruction how to turn it on hold it up.CLICK and they
immediately become "PHOTOGRAPHERS!" Without the faintest clue what
composition, LIGHT, feeling and the many other things we went through in the
"OLD DAYS" learning how to use a film camera. And the bulk of the basics day
after day for some time before we really new what made a good photograph.

Today?  Turn it on, hold camera in air, look at screen, it looks like a good
one from here.  CLICK. "Look at me I'm a photographer!" :-(  A shame as the
overall quality is falling faster than a rock off Mount Everest! :-(

Thank goodness for some one at ICP understanding that people need basics!

ted