Subject: [Leica] IMG: Noctilux Pictures
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jul 12 22:04:54 2007

Robert Rose showed:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rjrose/noctilux/L1003710.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rjrose/noctilux/L1003722.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rjrose/noctilux/L1003727.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rjrose/noctilux/L1000055.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rjrose/noctilux/L1000053.jpg.html

Bob mon ami,

Quite frankly as a very long time ( since 1975)  Noctilux user I can only
say,   "DO NOT SELL IT!" :-)

If you're knocking off images like this at f 1.0 by basically or very close
to "Available Darkness" dismiss any thoughts of selling and make it work in
as many nearly no-light situations you can find.

The Noctilux wide open is not the easiest lens to use, but once you start
producing images that turn people's heads with. "WOW! How did you do that
without a blast of flash? It looks so natural" Make use of it in every
possible manner where others fear unless they're flashing. :-)

Quite frankly too many people purchase a Noctilux then give up on it because
it isn't a quick and easy every day lens to work with. Yep it's a tad heavy,
if you wear it off your neck for lots of 10-12 hour days you get over it.
;-) It takes a bit of handling experience before one learns the feel and
idiosyncrasies of using it quickly and getting it on the mark at f1.0. Also
knowing when to make it work for an interesting photo moment.

I used mine shooting Kodachrome 64 indoors where most people thought I'd
lost my mind. But the results... like WOW!  Then when you really want to
blow people away, use ASA 3200 film and shoot wide open.. Particularly when
the exposure is 1/15 @ f1.0! :-) Now that's truly available darkness. but
some very interesting looking results.

That's when one becomes a member of the "Noctilux Royal Knights of the
Night!" ;-) But it's amazing what and where you can shoot getting results
hand held like it's almost high noon. :-) And on the M8 it's a beauty.

Using slower ASA film because of the wide aperture, again making for
different .looking photographs than that of other photographers always
stopped down. No reason an advantage of using the wider aperture on the M8
and slower ASA shouldn't be a major asset at times.

Hang on to it lad or you'll regret it for the rest of your photo days! But
work it hard! :-)

ted

You can try clicking on the first image, then using the navigation button to

see the rest.  You might be able to get the album at one time with one of

these links, but the site seems to be very slow using these:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php?g2_itemId=92832

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rjrose/noctilux/

These were all taken in Old Town Pasadena.  I used the 1.25x magnifier.  The

throw on the lens is so long that it seems important to guess the distance

and pre-focus (somewhere near the right focus) before lifting the camera to

my eye, so that the subject does not get distracted and stare at me, like

what happened in 3722 (which is also the only one not at f/1).

You may recall that I adjusted the focus cam to eliminate back focus, and I

think it is successful.

So, what do you think?  Should I keep it, or sell it?

Bob Rose