Subject: [Leica] Diafine anyone?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jul 24 10:31:29 2007

> Anyone out there using Diafine.  I finally got around to trying it last
> week
> on some Plus-X at around EI 160 and 320.  It sure is easy to use since you
> don't have to be careful with time and temp.  Did some scans last night and
> posted two here:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/paswango/RecentUploads/photo#5090508535027752354
>
> This one and the next one in the set (i.e. the last two).  My interest in
> Diafine is mainly that I do very little BW film these days and when I do I
> want something versatile, easy to use and long-lasting.

It is very high sulfite content that you'd never use otherwise.
The equivalent of frying your film in d76 straight or worse.

Also with the process itself it seems to eliminate all edge effects.

Turning what you are used to getting from your Leica glass into dirty
Tamrons with dirty cheap UV filters and no lens shades.

I also found this thing about all films needing 3 minutes in each bath to be
not viable.

You get crushed highlights certainly not blocked but in otherwise most ways
mush negs.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com