Subject: [Leica] shift happens
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Fri Aug 3 13:45:43 2007

I assume it makes "you" worry. ;~)

We simply have to hang on and ride this horse to the finish line;
adapting where and when ever possible.

When I started; all I needed was a sturdy drawing table, line-up bar,
a few triangles (actually one adjustable triangle), a set of pens, a
wax machine and exacto knife; a good camera and lens set, a few
strobes and a darkroom. The generation before me made a good living
with those tools throughout their career.

My tiny little business has gone through huge changes over its 40
year history. From 8x10 chromes to 4x5 to 120 to digital capture.
 From LivePicture (anybody remember that ground breaking software) to
PS to ???. From hardly any RAM to Gigs of the stuff. From Pro-Labs to
No-labs. From $60,000 Iris printers to $1,500 Epsons. Once 95% of my
business was print advertising and collateral material. Now 95% of my
business is web based.
Investing in new technology (hardware and software) has taken money
that, traditionally, would have been called profit and/or retirement
investment and/or health insurance, etc. Most recently I invested in
video capability (camera and editing suite) - in the hope that I can
provide service as the bandwidth and multimedia requirements
increase. Last week I had to pay a fellow $135 to cart off computers,
monitors, printers and copiers which amounted to $35,000 when
purchased. I'm currently in the process of carting $15-20,000 worth
of software and manuals to the dumpster. My multi-thousand dollar
darkroom is a useless bunch of square feet that I just can't imagine
closing down after all these years. Change is tough and expensive.
Shift happens.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com