Subject: [Leica] RAW oir JPEG? :-) LIGHTROOM!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Aug 4 16:31:15 2007

RAW or JPEG?  I've finally seen the light! :-) Hallelujah! :-)

Many of you will remember my constant, "why mess with all the extra time
sitting before the computer screen when using RAW instead of JPEG?" A
constant fight back against the technical side of those who knew better!

OK so I'm admitting before the masses I have switched to RAW and or DNG
whichever one comes out of the Leicanon 20D or M8. I still don't have a clue
which is which. The most important part?

All you wonderful people who cajoled, badgered, harangued, beat on me
verbally and by whatever other means of ruthless verbal pain inflicted that
I should shoot RAW .. "Yes you were right all along and I admit it openly!"
I am a convert finally! :-)

I did get wonderful JPEG prints before RAW and I could never get it through
my klutzenhimer brain why I should shoot RAW when the prints looked so
beautiful from JPEG. Even though Tina attempted several times and I did try
what she told me I never seemed to get it right.. BD was on my case early on
about switching, even gave me a lesson in Boston a while back. However none
of their teachings really got any further than the outside of the skull. :-(

But Wade Heninger and his Lightroom programme finally showed me the way,
making it "simple to shoot RAW!" But more important, how easy to download to
computer and work with. I am still in the learning stages of Lightroom as
I'm actually taking the time to read the manual and follow it! :-)

Yeah I know that's another admitted revelation for me... Reading the manual!
:-)

But I openly admit in the past I believed I was shooting and producing
smashing 13X19 colour or B&W prints, yeah they are and were pretty damn
good. But they do not compare what comes from RAW or DNG. If there's a
difference between these two I have no idea.

However I have learned by seeing my own photography shot in RAW, played with
& printed illustrating the major difference between RAW and JPEG! Now I'm on
track.

Thank you to everyone who tried in the past to get it through my thick skull
why I should shoot RAW. Now I know what you meant and why you worked so hard
to pound it into me. Such wonderful quality! Thanks for your patients and
time! I truly am converted!

ted

Replies: Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] RAW oir JPEG? :-) LIGHTROOM!)
Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] RAW oir JPEG? :-) LIGHTROOM!)