Subject: [Leica] Re: Guns and Leicas
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Wed Aug 8 15:02:19 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:
> How many of us Leica owners are also gun owners?

I inherited my father's modest collection when he left this earthly
life a few years ago.

> How many own more guns than Leicas?

guns:
44 cal navy dragoon (built by dad while he worked as a tool and die
maker at A.O. Smith)
22 cal ruger revolver
22 cal automatic (don't remember the maker)
30/06 sported
22 cal bolt action rifle (don't remember the maker)
12 gauge double barrel spanish shotgun

Leicas:
M8
M6 .58TTL
lenses, visoflex, bellows and motor
R8
R8/DMR
Lenses, bellows and motor/winder

> How many own more Leicas than guns?

If we're only counting bodies - then more guns than leicas - if we're
counting accessories - then more leicas than guns

> How many of us shoot more pictures with Leicas than bullets from guns?

Have not fired a firearm since I shot dad's dragoon in the summer of
1968.

> Is there a natural affinity for lovers of precise machinery between
> Leicas and fine firearms?

While I certainly appreciate well designed and machined objects I
feel little to no affinity to firearms - fine or otherwise.
Appreciation yes. Affinity no.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com