Subject: [Leica] Re: Armed *White* America?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Aug 10 13:37:24 2007

>Interesting to note what different people think of as representational.
>A popular firearms magazine declined to run a review of it saying, (I'm
>paraphrasing) "there aren't enough normal looking people in it." I'm not
>sure if it was Michelle's pink hair, or Cicelia's tattoo or Bash's
>dreads. Pink hair, tattoos, and dreadlocks seem very "normal" to me here
>in urban Philadelphia -- but they might not to someone from Montana, or
>Utah or even central Pennsylvania. What's normal and proper to some
>seems perverse to others. One email I got said "you could have done
>without the gang bangers" -- which I took to mean "people with
>dreadlocks or corn-rows or knit caps" I don't know if there are any gang
>members in my book -- but I didn't meet anybody who gave me the
>impression they were, yet that ability to jump to a conclusion exists
>both within and without the gun community and can be pointed in any
>direction.
>
>It was a useful lesson for me and one of the things that I think helped
>me grow as a person during this process.
>
>Kc

Kyle, I think you did an exemplary job of doing as even handed a job
of this touchy subject as anyone could have. Your clear neutrality on
most aspects made it work, and you deserve all the success this
project has engendered.

It's a great book in a number of ways. The photography, the
presentation, but most importantly in your approach.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design