Subject: [Leica] Summarit-M lenses revealed
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Aug 12 02:49:24 2007

Mark, a fun but perceptive post. No question that the Japanese giants seek
to add the German premium quality perception to their
marketing. Who knows how much money changes hands in these arrangements?
Maybe the M line is largely a flagship product. Personally
I really hope that is not so.
My view is that Leica certainly will market a DSLR. Organic or more likely
with a partner. Any bets about next Photokina? I hope
that it is Germanic brilliant and sells in huge numbers.
I don't see that Leica can ever compete directly. Smarter to target their
premium niche.
I don't believe that Leica will emulate Zeiss and duplicate manual focus
lens ranges for other brands. Not unless they are forced by
a commercial failure of their M digital line.

Cheers
Hoppy