Subject: [Leica] visoflex iii, or Wholly Macro!
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Tue Aug 14 17:19:16 2007

Pete,

First, welcome to the group!  You'll find it a terrific, frustrating,
rewarding place.

My question: Why get a viso III and Leica lens for macro work with the M8?
Just because you CAN adapt a Leica for the work doesn't mean it's the best
option.

The Viso III was a clumsy work-around to adapt Leica rangefinder cameras for
long lenses and macrophotography.  At the time, it was a job really better
suited to a Nikon F, Contarex or other great SLRs. Obviously Leica also
thought so, with the introduction of the Leicaflex system.

Which brings me to the heretical point: for macro work, why not get a
prosumer DSLR for the project?  You'll have accurate framing (not possible
with a Viso III setup, since the M8 sensor is not full-frame) and excellent
results, probably for less than what a Viso III and lens(es) would cost.
Best of all, you'd have a camera suited to the job.

Save the M8 for shooting where a rangefinder works best--out in the field,
when speed and immediacy count.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA
Who remembers some of the '30s Leica adaptor ads with glee--ever see the one
where the photographer (using a iiia) tries to photograph a cat close-up
using that thing with the sticks for distance-measurement?