Subject: [Leica] Pinhole on Leica
From: cif at halcyon.com (Larry Bullis)
Date: Mon Aug 20 22:49:49 2007

This digest thing is very strange, but how many emails do I want
emails/day?

Tom Johnston mentioned that I am the first he knew who ever put a
pinhole on a Leica but I've lost the reference somehow.

Tom, you have one of my pinholes, and I may be the first you know, but
I'm definitely not the first to do this.  Dominic Stroobant beat me out
on that one, and I am absolutely confident that he was not the first
either.  I believe I have a copy of an issue of that Willard Morgan
serial encyclopedea which mentions it and I think it goes back before
either of us, or Dominic, too, were even imaginary concepts.

The pinhole you have is actually the very first Leica M body cap pinhole
that I ever made (1976).  It was made in brass shim stock.  It is a very
good one and I can prove that with images, but over the years, I've
changed my methods.  I used a feeler guage, a fly tying vise, and a
needle with tape around it at just the right diameter to make them
then.  Now I use a 50 x projection microscope and produce them in pure
silver using a polished ball peen hammer with a polished anvil.  The
ones I am making now are actually domed.  They are most likely somewhat
better pinholes, in that they are work hardened and quite probably much
more precise, as well as blacker. The edge of the hole is very sharp,
like a knife.  I make them too small, enlarge them, then make them
smaller again expanding the metal with the hammer, hone the edges with a
stone, then I blacken them with toner.

I don't do a lot of this (how many pinholes can one person actually
use?).  But I think I have it down pretty well now.  Having done jewelry
in grad school with Ken Cory has its advantages, as does having
acquaintances who are physicists.  People like those micro drilled and
laser drilled pinholes, but they just don't know what they are missing!

Using them on Leica is convenient, fun, and easy, but the most fun is in
building very weird cameras that will produce images that can't possibly
be visualized by humans and doing things with them that we, as
photographers, must stretch to understand and never quite get there.
Now that gets interesting!!

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Pinhole on Leica)