Subject: [Leica] IMG: Chelsea At The Door
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Aug 28 20:45:45 2007

Bob, a nice warm pet portrait.
The back focus issue is a very interesting one. There is an article in the
current (August) LFI which discusses the issue at some
length. Leica reports record numbers of lenses being sent for adjustment.
The most vulnerable being basically the -luxes. Clearly
any error would be most apparent with the very fast lenses. However they
have said that the later design of the 50 asph and 75 asph
with floating element is meant to be less vulnerable and this may be their
future basis for lens designs of that type. Leica
suggests that errors that may have been present with film cameras too are
perhaps more noticeable with digital capture. Especially
now that there is a greater awareness of the issue.

I like their one line solution if you get a focus shift. Just shoot the lens
wide open all the time!

Cheers
Hoppy