Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu Aug 30 03:49:57 2007

Hi Larry,
I can't answer for the experts but I can for me!

For someone like myself, an amateur who doesn't take loads of shots
and doesn't want to carry multiple cameras, the benefit if digital
with its variable iso and ease of use for B&W is reason enough to go
digital. On top of that the quality is, IME superior. Already at 3.3
megapixels the Canon EOS D30 was better than film in poor light.
Nowadays it is no contest in my experience with digital SLRs and the
M8 competing with medium format not 35mm. It is obvious in my prints.

The M8 is not as easy to use as a EOS 1D mk2, which has the same
sized sensor and approximately similar pixel count and price. If you
want zooms, macro, super telephotos and so forth there is clearly no
contest. OTOH the menu on the EOS is infuriatingly counter intuitive
and the autofocus is always wrong using fast primes. For normal work
it is no contest the Leica is intuitive (to me) and tiny. The results
are -way- better than my Canons.
I too have been scared by the reliability problems but mine is fine
so far. I hate the need for IR cut filters but understand why the
compromise is chosen. I wish the lens could be set in the menu, like
Nikon do for their old lenses, rather than needing coding.
I think a lot of the complaints I have seen on the web (not this
list) are from people who have no experience of manual photography.
My Canon has needed a new shutter - a fairly common fault apparently.
I am thrilled to bits with my M8. That may change if it broke down!
Frank