Subject: [Leica] Why the sumarit-M lens?
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Aug 30 05:39:36 2007

The Summarits are not competing Summicrons and Summiluxes, I believe, but
likely the 90/2.8 Elmarit.

Think of the Summarits as the Porsche Boxster to compete the Mazda MX-5 and
others. Porsche is, IMO, a good example how a company with the tradition of
german design and craftmanship could keep up with the time. After difficult
times, they could strongly increase their sales and profits dued also to
that model (even if many Porsche habitu?s sniffed at it first). Now they
added another model between this and the 911, the Cayman, which also sells
excellently. I don't think they have sold a 911 less because of that, but
won a lot of new customers, who would have bought models of other brands.

With the Summarit line, Leica is going in the right direction, created a new
entry level for the Leica universe. Next step should be a fixed lens, or
M-mount, or 4/3-mount, digital compact rangefinder body (aka digital CL) for
not more than 2k EUR.

Didier

Message from bernardofeio at yahoo.com.br (bernardo feio) ([Leica] Why the sumarit-M lens?)
Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Why the sumarit-M lens?)