Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica answer
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Aug 30 20:46:42 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Adam wrote:

> I keep thinking that you want a particular answer and are disgruntled
> when you don't get it, Lawrence.

I never intended to release a flood of emotions when I asked about
the relative reliability of the M8. What I really wanted was someone
to say that the M8, and indeed any Leica, is a camera, not the Holy
Grail. I would have liked to see it compared objectively to other
cameras, but I guess expecting Luggers to be unbiased is a real leap
of faith. After all, it is the LUG. I don't even want to see it
compared to Canon or Nikon. I have no interest in buying either. Nor
am I unacquainted with the convenience of digital cameras. I have
owned them since they first came out about 15 years ago, starting
with a B&W Logitec, the Apple 100, and the Leica Digiflex Zoom. I
regularly use an Olympus 4/3 DSLR, apparently the second choice of
many Leica fans. The digitals let me take more pictures without a
cost penalty but I seriously doubt that they are better pictures.

What I would like to see is a comparison of the M8 with a film Leica,
say the M6, using the same lenses on each, the film to be scanned at
4000 lpi on a top quality scanner.
Surely one of the excellent photographers on the LUG has both cameras
and the interest in making such a test. My problem is that I have
film Leicas and lenses that I use for personal photography. I am
satisfied with the results but I like the convenience of digital. The
entry price of the M8 can buy a lot of film and processing. Still,
I'm tempted. The largest pictures I regularly make these days are
8x10s with an occasional 11x14 or 16x20 for a photo show. No 40x60s
ever.

The value of Leica RF cameras as instinctive image making machines
extends to the M8 as several Luggers have stated. I don't expect MF
results from a 35 mm frame despite the assertions of M8 fans that
Hassleblad quality can be squeezed out of the sensor. Too bad there
isn't a Consumers Research for high end cameras.

My problem would be resolved if someone would just give me an M8. I
wonder what Leica does with all those returned cameras. Can't sell
them as new. It's against the law.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Re: Leica answer)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Re: Leica answer)