Subject: [Leica] Re: Negative price elasticity
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri Aug 31 11:45:39 2007

Hi Larry,
I am pretty familiar with the strangeness of the art market and the
effectiveness of raising prices in tempting punters. I think most of
Leica's high price is down to production volume rather than boutique
marketing though. Canon sell so much product that the R&D design and
production costs are close to negligible per item. Leica sell so few
that even though the manufacturing method is so relatively costly a
large proportion of the price will be a share of the R&D and design
cost.
It is not the ideal comparison but it is data I have which puts the
numbers in perspective. Leica made a total of 5000 DMR modules during
its production run (and I wish I had bought one) Canon produce over
250,000 EOS 350Ds per month. I know an EOS 1D* quantity would be more
appropriate but I don't have it.
cheers,
Frank