Subject: [Leica] For airplane fans- more Spitfires and Red Arrows
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun Sep 9 09:57:18 2007

Thank you Jim,
the lens IS surprisingly good, I had planned to take along a 4/250 Leica
lens, but it made my hand luggage for the flight to the UK too heavy,
the CZ is only about 2/3 of the weight so I had room for a Bessa L and a
couple of superwides (reminds me - I must get the films developed).
As to the vantage point - the venue is just made for air displays, they
do their stuff over the sea and Whitby West Cliff is pretty high so for
some manoeuvers your almost looking down on the planes.
I don't know about being a talented photographer, but I did find the
superb advantage of using a DSLR.  Getting the exposure right for fast
moving object against a bright and changing background is something I'm
sure I couldn't have done so well with either calculation, metering or
guesswork with film.  A couple of test shots, a look at the screen on
the back, a tweak or two to get a nice combination of shutter speed and
ISO rating and then set the lens  to hyperfocal  to make sure
everything's sharp all the way from a couple of hundred yards to
infinity was my method.
My only talent in this case may be a steady hand when panning and
releasing the shutter, it's so easy to forget to follow through on
panning while you push the button.
Thanks again for looking
Best from Hannover
Douglas