Subject: [Leica] SLD ? R9.99 ? Link is OK now
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Sep 20 11:27:21 2007

> Well, Sonny, if you decide that your photographic objectives are best met
> by
> Leica, you better try keeping them solvent. I think it will get more
> difficult for them unless they move production to Asia. They should do what
> Nvidia does, become a design house, and get others to manufacture their
> products to whatever tolerances they want. In that case a lot more money
> can
> go into R&D. As they are structured at present, and at their size, it looks
> bleak IMHO. If the world economy does slide, they could be wiped out.
> Cheers
> Jayanand
>
> On 9/20/07, Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/20/07, Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand@gmail.com> wrote:

Leica has been going out of business for 40 years.

I got my first Leica 14.5 years go. That was April '93.
Since then for a continuingly going out of business company they've had a
renaissance of sorts with all kinds of great products and technologies..

During which time they were spoken of in the past tense for awhile and on
this list. And bounced back stronger once again. Just the year before last.

Despite all kinds of negative energy garbage from chat lists...
1. They should just make lenses for other people.
2. They should stop being a premium company but compete at a lower price
rate with all the other companies.
3. Dissolve the R line only the M's are good.

And now newer variations such as you mention
Have their stuff made cheep in Asia.
Become only a design house.

I'd advise taking a trip to Wetzlar and visiting the factory.
Talk to some of the people.

Leica sings

Did you think I'd crumble
Did you think I'd lay down and die