Subject: [Leica] OT Canon G9
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 18:47:26 2007

In a message dated 9/25/2007 5:48:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

I've  never had a digital camera "die." Have others?

Regards,
George  Lottermoser
george@imagist.com
Hi George,

The only way a film camera can die is if its shutter goes  dead. In quality
bodies, mechanical shutters seldom drop out; but electronically  controlled
shutters sometimes do. However, the film in a Leica M can't die. It's
digital
counterpart, the sensor array in an M8, can suddenly conk out -- even
though
the camera be fairly recent. It seems to me that a digital camera is
similar to
a Rube Goldberg sketch. Troubles can cascade if one thing goes wrong.  What
amazes me is how dependable my Nikon D70 is turning out. Even the early Oly
5050, after its Sony sensor was replaced without charge, is performing
reliably. Sony used a plastic substrate, I believe, in the initial runs of
the  5050.
It was replaced by Oly with a sensor that used a ceramic substrate, thus
keeping all the pixels stable and therefore the colors normal.

So we have a subcontractor problem with parts in most digital  bodies. Then
there's the little motors that drive focus and zooms in the  prosumers, like
the Nikon 5200 and Canon G9.  I doubt  that most digitals will run at their
best
after 10 years. The setting retaining  capacitor in the Oly 5050 lasted
about
2 months. I don't even bother Oly to  replace it. I just reset my ISO, etc.
when I change batteries.

It comes with the territory.

Best,
Bob