Subject: [Leica] Re:Oh god, I'm thinking of trying a Tri-Elmar 28/35/50 now addiction
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell)
Date: Mon Oct 1 09:48:48 2007

Back to the original question...I bought one recently.  First observation:
the 28/35/50 Tri-Elmar has become (1) hard to find and (2) quite pricey
compared to the relatively recent past.  Photographically speaking:
The image quality is outstanding.  (I've only used it on an R-D1, where it
is sort of the perfect lens, since it matches the built-in framelines of
that camera.)  Crisp, nice contrast.  I've read some comments about the TE
having slightly lower contrast than some of the modern ASPHs.  I haven't
really compared them side by side - I have a 90mm AA and a 35/2 ASPH.  If
true, the slightly lower contrast is probably a plus for digital use, but
someone (Sean Reid, I think) pointed out that the TE has a lot of the "look"
of older Leica lenses.  That could be true - if so, it is at least their
match on resolution.
Handling - I was looking for and bought a v1.  These seem to have more
reports of mechanical issues with the automatic frameline keying, but this
one works fine on an M4 and two M6s, so no issue there.  Optically, you know
they are the same.  The v1 has somewhat less need of a hood, where the v2
really does need a hood.  The DOF scales weren't an issue for me because
they aren't correct for the APS sensor size in any case so simpler is
better.  BTW, the v2 has a focusing tab.  You may reallly like, or really
object to, that - or you may not care.
Overall, with the qualification that the f/4 aperture somewhat limits inside
use, it's a very handy, very high-performing lens.  Whether you really want
to plunk down the cash is another question.
John Newell

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re:Oh god, I'm thinking of trying a Tri-Elmar 28/35/50 now addiction)
Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] Re:Oh god, I'm thinking of trying a Tri-Elmar 28/35/50 now addiction)