Subject: New to scanning and Mac was RE: [Leica] mac upgrade
From: 54moggie at embarqmail.com (Robert Lilley)
Date: Tue Oct 23 17:28:24 2007

I've been reading all this stuff about Mac on this list for a while now - so
I bought into it all and purchased a iMac 2 GHz Intel dual processor
computer with the new Leopard OS coming to me Oct 26.  I also purchased an
Epson Perfection V750 M-Pro scanner to hook up to it (no fire wire cable
included - sigh).

Well, after a lifetime of Microsoft I have to admit Mac is pretty slick -
but not as "user friendly" as touted by all those Mac folks over the years.
It's not less complicated or complex - just different.  I would imagine it's
what you are used to.  I think it's also a culture thing - perhaps I will
soon find myself buying a Volvo with a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker and
walking around with a bottle of designer water. I like the idea of the
extensive Apple support but find the phone support folks rather pigeon-holed
and unable to answer questions not in their script - lots of passing the
buck and recursive loops.  Did you know there is not one person in all of
Mac-Dom that will say "let me pull up your account and see what's going on"
- instead you are directed to yet another web page.  I am still gonna do my
check book on the PC.

But my real issue is an over abundance of scanner software - one purchased
and the rest came bundled with the scanner.  Bundled - Epson scanner
software, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Silverfast Ai and EZ Color by X-rite.  I
purchased Adobe Light Room on advice from the guy at B&H.  What does what
with which? - I have to assume some of these applications have to be
redundant.  Does anyone have an approach to make sense of all these
applications - Help!

Rob