Subject: [Leica] Wooden tripods
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Oct 28 17:40:36 2007

> Jerry,
> Gitzo has started using Basalt fibers in an intermediate priced line of
> tripods.  Halfway between aluminum and carbon fiber in weight and price.
> Basalt does damp vibrations and will not freeze your fingers in the cold
> like aluminum.  I will second the opinion that use a light head for Leica
> is
> more than adequate.  For example, the Leica large head...
>
> On 10/28/07, Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@san.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Luis'
>>
>> Basalt?  What are you talking about?  How does basalt help?
>>
>> Jerry

When they came out I thought gee that sounds great but:

basalt |b??s?lt| noun a dark, fine-grained volcanic rock that sometimes
displays a columnar structure. It is typically composed largely of
plagioclase with pyroxene and olivine. ? a kind of black stoneware
resembling such rock.

Where do the fibers come from?
Are there fibers on those rocks? I'm all ears but it does not should like
there would be to me.

You looked at them they appear to be made from melted down Barbie and Ken
dolls then darkened. Why not say "instead of expensive carbon fiber where
just making these out of cheap plastic!"?

Why because they wanted them not a couple notches down in price from the
carbon which have taken over the tripod universe as we know it they want it
to be only a half notch down. So they don't loose any money... So they
think.

Any plastic would work just fine I should think.
Metal is cold. Especially if its cold outside. And maybe too heavy for some
things. And the vibration might bunch back at you more so than plastic or
wood. Or high tech carbon fiber whatever.

You could make them out of play doe. But they might break.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Wooden tripods)