Subject: [Leica] Wooden tripods
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Oct 28 18:10:46 2007

I find tripod use especially now that I got this year a
Gitzo G-1157 Mountaineer Sport 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod legs Series 1
- To be a FREEING experience in photography.
ENABLING.

I kick myself (in the tripod leg) every time I use one as I'd wished I'd
used one sooner. Kind of like going to a Sushi Bar same thing.
"This is so great why don't I do it more often>"

I feel like the world is my oyster when use a tripod
f 32 did you say? NO PROBLEMO!
ISO 50 did you say? NO PROBLEMO!
I can bracket my f stops
I can bracket my shutter speeds
I can bracket my focus. Try all kinds of stuff for the shot.
I can change backs on my Hasselblad to five different films small fast color
Polaroid.
I can shoot the darned thing with every every filter in my back pocket.
Try the same shot with different lenses. Or zoomed differently.
Bracketing my zooming is a new thing for me I do that hand held. Now that
film is free.
I'm not looking through the camera I'm looking at my subject.
The shots I get with the tripod seem to have an authority I don't get hand
held. Its like I'm shooting 8x10 even if I'm shooting small format.

People ignore you when you use a tripod. You are doing a job. Not tripling
to be surreptitious.
But they also pay attention in a good way. They don't fool around.

Ball heads are the big boom.
And the Arca Swiss quick release system.
As much as carbon fiber.

My new years resolution next year is to tie my tripod to my left leg.
And learn to play the flute.

Those new Berlebach tripods I see selling at B&H now seem not to heavy some
of them.

Berlebach 8023 Wood Tripod Legs with Center Column -
Supports 26.5 lb (12.0 kg)

It weights 6.2 lbs
Goes up to 69.3" (176.0 cm)

Mfr# BE8023 ? B&H# BE8023

Price:     $ 219.95
Calculate Shipping:
Availability:
In Stock

"Berlebach has been manufacturing beautifully finished pieces of German
craftsmanship for over a century, and then as now the natural advantages of
wood continually appeal to discriminating shooters"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302822-REG/Berlebach_BE8023_8023_Wood_
Tripod_Legs.html

Here's a nice list
http://www.nycv.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=088