Subject: [Leica] Wooden tripods
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan dimitrov)
Date: Tue Oct 30 19:56:38 2007

I never really had a problem with any tripod I've had. I just
followed the basic rule of thumb of always using more tripod than I
needed for the format used. Unless one is shooting on a bridge, with
moving truck traffic, or on top of the San Andreas Fault, just about
any tripod will do. After all, the main vibration is from the camera
going downwards to the tripod. That is, unless one trips over one of
the legs, which I suspect makes up for more than half of the so-
called vibration problems. Or, people using a tripod without a cable
release.
When it comes to large format, the shutter, a primitive 19th design,
creates so much mechanical commotion and  who knows what levels
harmonic vibration from the sound, that you'd think the film sheet
would pop. It doesn't. However, temperature changes will make it pop.
S.