Subject: [Leica] Wooden tripods
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Oct 31 14:30:34 2007

> I never really had a problem with any tripod I've had. I just
> followed the basic rule of thumb of always using more tripod than I
> needed for the format used. Unless one is shooting on a bridge, with
> moving truck traffic, or on top of the San Andreas Fault, just about
> any tripod will do. After all, the main vibration is from the camera
> going downwards to the tripod. That is, unless one trips over one of
> the legs, which I suspect makes up for more than half of the so-
> called vibration problems. Or, people using a tripod without a cable
> release.
> When it comes to large format, the shutter, a primitive 19th design,
> creates so much mechanical commotion and  who knows what levels
> harmonic vibration from the sound, that you'd think the film sheet
> would pop. It doesn't. However, temperature changes will make it pop.
> S.

I think there was a day when a tripod and camera was one piece.
They dint come apart.
And no shutter. You got a lens cap for a shutter.
The timing was when  if "felt right".

Simplicity can be a great uplifter. And inspirer.

To 35mm users in a rut I always say: try some large format.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com