Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lesson Learned
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue Oct 30 20:59:54 2007

LUGGERS,

Off and on, over the years, I have used out of date B&W silver film with
very few problems.  Recently, when I wanted to check out a Pentax 50/1.4
lens that had come my way, I grabbed an out of date roll of T400CN ( 4 years
out of date), and shot a few pictures.  A couple of days ago, I finished up
the 36 exposures and took it in for processing by the same lab that does my
C41 color work.

What surprised me is the level of fogging, if that is the proper term, for
it looks like grain, that I found in the low-light images.  I must admit
that the film was not refrigerated.  Is this the experience others have
found?

An example image is linked below.  The light color is metallic silver, and
the contrasting color is black.  Note the grain-like appearance in both the
light and dark areas, but especially in the darker areas.  All of the
negatives were like this in the shadow areas.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Mirror+with+Turn+Signal.jpg.html

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] IMG: Lesson Learned)