Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lesson Learned
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue Oct 30 21:13:16 2007

Quoth the Jim Nichols :

> What surprised me is the level of fogging, if that is the proper
> term, for it looks like grain, that I found in the low-light images.
> I must admit that the film was not refrigerated.  Is this the
> experience others have found?

Probably so.

Remember that 400CN is not traditional B&W film and does not have the
stability of a true silver halide emulsion.  It's essentially C41 dye
technology using only a single dye layer.  Its stability in terms of
aging, heat resistance, and fog will be much more in line with a
color neg film than the B&W we know and mostly love.

4 years for HP5 isn't a problem, but 4 years out for any color neg
emulsion that wasn't kept very cold is going to be difficult, to say
the least.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com