Subject: [Leica] dang! everyone looks like a star in the 85 1.8 (or the 75 1.4 if you can focus it)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 6 18:53:01 2007

> i just got a new 85 1.8 for the leica d200 -- this replaces a long line
> of similar lenses -- i had the 75 1.4 for the leica but i couldn't focus
> it to save my life -- they could have taken one of the elements out and
> i'd never have known because all i ever got out of it was blobs of tri-x
> grain. (i sold it after a week.)
>
> anyhoo -- open up that 85, point it at an innoccuous person waiting for
> a bus and kazam, they're a model
>
> http://www.kylecassidy.com/trillianstars/model/lewinsky.jpg
>
> this is my new favorite lens.
>
> kc

My first month here (Nov. of last year) my 85 1.8 saved my behind as it was
dusk before we started shooting my first job in NY I when it got too dark
outside the model got lost on the subway as I told her to take the A train
and that's the express which got here deep into Harlem we came in to my
"studio" apartment that is and used a hundred watt lightbulb with a little
diffuser known as a lamp shade and I came out smelling like a rose.
It is an in effect 127.5mm 1.8 ain't nothing to sneeze at I was getting too
slow a shudder speeds with my f4-5.6 zoom short tele I'd normally use for
glamour portraiture which is what this was.  1.8 gave me 2 3 stops more
speed
125th instead of a a 15th not the same ballpark!

Cuter still is the older 85 f2 80 AI which is half the size and looks just
like a 50. I have that here now as of this summer for street shooting I
drove it back from Portland. Uses 52mm filters. You can pick one up easy for
70 bucks. And on the D200 you can set the thing for 85 f2 so that will be in
the metadata you can use a bunch of old ai lenses with it.

A favorite old cheap and amazingly cool ai to use which I got for 99 bucks
is the 55 macro.3.5 or you can use a 2.8 there are at least 5 styles. You
end up with a 82.5mm lens!
Just what you thought you were getting in the first place!

Though with your D3 you WILL be getting an 85 with your 85.
And eat it too!

Egg in your beer.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com