Subject: [Leica] OT: Fixing radioactive lenses
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Wed Nov 7 17:02:05 2007

Thorium oxidizes to a brown/black color and this could account for the
coloration of the lenses.  I'd say this would be a more logical reason
behind
the yellowing of the glass with the radioactivity being coincidental.
I'd like to hear about the yellowing effect in these rare-earth lenses from
someone who worked with their manufacture as well.  My SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4
is one of my favorite lenses and probably better than any of the Leica glass
I own or dare say, better than any of the Leica glass produced up to that
point in time.

The half-life of Thorium-232 is several billion years however there are
trace
isotopes that have been used industrially (Th-234 and Th-231) with half-life
durations measuring about one day to one month.

Not a chemist or physicist, but google works wonders.
PhilFo