Subject: [Leica] OT: Fixing radioactive lenses
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Nov 7 20:29:25 2007

At 08:20 PM 11/7/2007, Leonard Taupier wrote:

 >Actually it's not important that I remove the faint yellow of this
 >lens because it will not affect the b&w photos I plan on taking with
 >it. But it's been documented a few times that the yellow cast is
 >considerably diminished after about two weeks exposure to sunlight or
 >a UV lamp. Actually the lens is a curiosity to me. If the process
 >works I've accomplished two things, one prove the fix works and two I
 >can take color photos with a supposedly very good lens. Also I'm a
 >little leery about taking lenses apart. I'll take apart a car, a TV
 >set or a computer, but a lens or a camera, nope.

Hmm. I have taken apart quite a few cars and and
I have often added stuff to my computer, but a TV
is beyond me, I fear!  On the other hand, I have
disassembled and reassembled and fixed and
overhauled a number of cameras to prove I could
do it -- having rebuilt a bunch of fuel-injection
and brake power units, I felt that a camera would
be a matter of like import, and so it
was.  Lenses are a tad more difficult as I lack a
decent set of test instruments but I have still
always gotten away with it by paying attention to
detail.  I sold my last sports car last December
and no longer rebuild cameras, though I may have
to investigate my 6X,30mm "beh" (Leitz)
Dienstglass binoculars -- that artillery scale I
need to be able to call in artillery strikes
against my neighbor has slipped out of focus and
I have been unable to find a willing repair dude,
even over on the Binocular Historical Society
List.  Ah, well, more time with those teeny
screwdrivers are in order, I fear!  Thank heavens
I have another pair of binoculars with an
artillery scale.  My neighbor has not been
present for some months though his family have
been there.  My wife believes that he has gone
undergound as a Secret Terror Agent for the Dalai
Lama but I believe that he has TRULY gone
underground and is digging a masive tunnel to attack our house.

We do live in an interesting neighborhood.  And I
do need to get these binoculars fixed.

Marc

I suspect that the

msmall@aya.yale.edu