Subject: [Leica] Changing eyes, M focusing
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (amr3@uwm.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 7 22:02:16 2007

Quoting Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>:

> So, calling all middle-aged dudes and dude-ettes with M cameras!  How have
> you coped with creeping presbyopia? Have you tried progressive lenses, and
> how do they work for you, both with M cameras, and in real life?  Have you
> adjusted well to them?  Do you get a stiff neck from pitching your head up
> and down to "focus," or is it pretty natural after a while?
I had a pair of progressive lenses for one day and they drove me crazy.  Now
have one pair of bifocals for Canon EOS and general indoor and close-up
wear, a
pair of trifocals for outside and driving that also are decent with an M
through
the middle glass, and another trifocal for watching TV that also is perfect
for
an M viewfinder in the middle lens.  Unfortunately, they couldn't make the
lower lens as strong as I would have liked, so focusing on the camera
settings
is problematic.
Having three pairs of glasses sounds awkward, but I prefer having sharp
views to
the color fringing and distortion of the progressive lenses.  Interestingly,
the
"M" trifocals also give me the clearest view through my Olympus OM cameras
too.
I think one reason I'm particular in my vision and a lens afficianado, is
that
my father was an optometrist, and I always had the best eye care.  I still
have
boxes of individual diopters and two old phoroptors(I think that's the term)
for
testing eyesight.

Alan

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee