Subject: [Leica] Re: life expectancy (WAS: IMG: Kekchi Girls)
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Nov 10 23:07:32 2007

But that's true in many 3rd world countries--much of the difference
in average life expectancy between poor and rich countries is due to
the extremely high infant mortality rate in poor countries. It is
really simple arithmetic: if a large portion of the population dies
in early childhood, then obviously the average life length is going
to be short, even if adults have life spans that are much closer to
those in the rich world than the average figure would lead one to
believe.

Nathan

On 9-nov-2007, at 13:14, Tina Manley wrote:

> At 10:28 PM 11/8/2007, you wrote:
>> This one AND Iranian bakery make me thankful for the Health
>> Department.
>>
>> Good work on both.
>>
>> ric
>

> We always said if you lived to be 5 years old in Iran, you would
> live forever.  In the market, the vegetable vendors would scoop
> water out of the jube - the open sewer that runs through the town -
> to sprinkle on the greens to make them look fresh.  Somewhere I
> have a photo of a woman brushing her teeth in the jube.
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley
> ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
> http://www.tinamanley.com