Subject: [Leica] UC-Hexanon 35/2 review by Erwin Puts? Anyone have it?
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 11:41:57 2007

from Erwin Puts     _http://www.imx.nl/photo/faq/_
(http://www.imx.nl/photo/faq/)
I hope this helps, G.  Medina...(Hexar is listed under Leica).... regards,
bob cole

Konica Hexar and register

I am currently using the Hexar RF for several  reasons. To test the new
Hexanon 2/35mm, to check on Hexar body - Leica lens  compatibility and get a
feeling for the Hexar system.

To start with the body: the specs are well  known, so I can jump to the more
philosophical topics. The body appears to be a  very high engineering
quality,
has a very solid feeling and is really easy to  use. The electronic
shutter-motordrive unit is a sealed box and can not be  separated. It is the
same as
used in the Contax G/2 series. As an aside: if  Leica were to use this unit,
the
manual advance lever would have to go. The  viewfinder is slightly lower in
contrast than the Leica and the Hexar  rangefinder patch has a distinct
yellow
tint, that will lower contrast and makes  it more difficult to focus at
objects at 10 meter or more distance. While the  body has almost identical
dimensions to the Leica, the look and feel is  distinctly different. The
rounded body
contours of the Leica and the clean top  cover make it look more elegant,
compared to the squarish and somewhat boxy  character of the Hexar.

In use the Hexar is quite simple and its  controls are well laid out and
generally useful to the photographer. The  exposure compensation feature is
nice,
but with the leica a simple half click  stop of the aperture ring will do
the
job as fast and easy.

Biggest drawback of the hexar is the small time  delay between pressing the
shutterknob and the actual firing of the shutter.  This delay and the
instant
of wait and thus insecurity is most annoying and you  can not use the Leica
technique of prefocusing and fire when the object is sharp  in the
finderpatch.

When you close your eyes and pick up the Leica  and the Hexar several times,
the difference in feeling and haptics emerges. When  you hold the Leica,
your
thumb slides behind the advance lever and your finger  lays on the shutter
release button, which is sharp as a trigger. This simple and  intuitive act
signifies to the brain a state of alert attention and you fall  into the
mood of a
hunter or an active sportsperson anticipating the moves of  the other
players.

When holding the Hexar, both hands hold the body  and wen your finger
touches
the release button, there is no trigger effect. The  finger just rests there
and you do not get any feedback from the body. So you  switch almost
automatically into a more passive state of mind and allow the  camera to
work for you.
That is easy to do as the automatic functions of the  camera (exposure, film
transport, motorwinder) are so well executed that you  start to rely on them
and even transfer control to them. In fact you are  starting to become an
operator of the camera, adjusting the wheels and not the  driver who forces
the
camera to do as he wants it to act.

The transfer of controls to the camera and the  mood of becoming more
passive
in the photographic act is in my view the fine  distinction between the
Hexar
and the Leica. Photographing the same objects with  a leica and a Hexar in
quick succession underscores this difference: with the  Leica the work is
harder
(more to think and act), but your act blends in with  the subject and you
are
part of it. With the Hexar your work is easier, but the  remoteness of the
controls acts as a filter between the object and yourself. Let  me say, that
you
become a bit lazier when using the hexar and that shows in the  pictures.

Technically there is nothing wrong with the  Hexar pictures, well exposed,
sharply focused etc. The Hexar then is for  photographers who avoid
technicalities and want good imagery with a minimum of  technical and manual
control and
who feel that the visual involvement with the  object has to be separated,
even
detached from the tool they use. In this sense  the Hexar is close to the
Contax G. The family resemblance goes a step farther.  My test of the
Hexanon
2/35 indicates that Hexanon imagery is in character very  close to the Zeiss
philosphy of correction. The Hexanon is an 8 element lens  (with the now
familiar
negatively curved front lens, pioneered by Leica and  quickly adopted by
Konica and Voigtlander). The Summicron has 7 elements, but  has one
aspherical
surface, and one such a surface equals two spherical  surfaces). At full
aperture
the lens exhibits a medium contrast (less than the  leica lens), has visible
flare in the bright areas and small detail rendition.  The performance on
axis
till an image height of 6mm (image circle of 12 mm  diameter) is excellent
with a very good definition of very small detail. In the  outer zones the
image
quality drops significantly and now we see small detail  with quite blurred
edges. Astigmatism is very well controlled, but there is some  curvature of
field. The lateral chromatic error is quite large, and may add in  the bokeh
preservation. The corners are very weak. At 2.8 the flare is gone and  the
image
crispens a bit, the central disk of excellent quality now extends to a
image
height of 8 mm, with the corners still bad and the outer zones hardly
improving.
At 4 we find an overall improvement, but the chromatic error still  softens
the edges of very small and tiny detail. At this aperture the quality is
comparable to the Leica, that shows better reduction of the chromatic error
and
thus a crisper and cleaner image. If resolution figures were relevant, I had
note that the
Konica has the edge here. But these are bench  mark figures (large scale
projection test) and in actual photography the small  advantage would be
lost.
This sideline indicates that differences in resolution  of 10 line pairs/mm
are
not indicative of superior image quality. Optimum  aperture is at 8, and
after
that contrast and resolution drop due to diffraction  effects. Close up
performance at 1 meter is identical to the tested distance  which is at 100
times
the focal length.

The inevitable question of course is how this  Hexar lens compares to the
last non aspherical Summicron. In my view the Hexanon  is the better lens
overall.

But you cannot use the Hexanon lens on a Leica  body: a collimator check
showed that the Hexanon lens has a focus plane that  differs from the Leica
lens
by 0.09mm. Is that important? The discussion on the  Lug about the Hexar
body/Leica lens compatibility dismissed small differenes in  the area of
less that
half a mm as irrelevant, because some uses could not  detect any difference
when comparing different lens/body combinations. The truth  is this: a did a
test
on the bench and focussed carefully on maximum image  quality. Then I used a
micrometer to defocus by 0.03mm (which is quite small).  In the image the
loss
of contrast was very evident, but resolution at least at  the lower
frequencies (around 40 lp/mm) did not suffer. What did suffer was the  edge
sharpness.
If you were to do your own testing and looking at the negatives  with an
8-times magnifier, you would not se any drop in resolution (beyond the
detection
capability of the eye at that magnification). But at a larger  magnification
you begin to see it quite
clearly.

Now the continuing saga of the Hexar/Leica lens  compatibility. First a few
remarks: You can not measure the actual distance from  bayonet flange to
pressure plate by using the pressure plate itself as a  reference. The
slightest and
unnoted pressure from the instrument itself on the  pressure plate will give
errors and the pressure plate itself is hardly ever a  plane itself. So
additional errors. The only way to do it is to remove the  pressure plate
and insert
a device that is calibrated to be at the same distance  where the pressure
plate ideally has to be. To start from here. The distance  from the bayonet
flange to the pressure plate or more accurate the top of the  outer film
guide
rails ( pressure plate rails) in the Leica M is 27.95mm. This  distance is
also
(but wrongly referred to as register. But this distance and  measurement is
used to check if the guide rails and the bayonet flange are  parallel to
each
other
and have the correct distance. The second  important measure is the distance
from the film rail (the innermost film guide  rails) to the bayonet flange.
In
the Leica this is 27.75mm. The film gate then  has a distance of 0.2mm. In
every Leica book I know of there is a reference to  the filmplane/flange of
27.80mm.

What is this. Rogliatti, Roger Hicks, Collectors  Checklist, Hasbrouck you
name them, all refer to flange to film plane distance  or flange to film
register. Now in German the word is "Auflagemass". This can be  correctly
translated
as "flange focal length" or "flange focal distance". But  this measurement
is
done for the lens itself on a collimator where the lens is  adjusted such
that
the distance from the lens bayonet flange to the true optical  focal plane
(focal point) is indeed exact 27.80mm. First lesson: NEVER believe  what is
written about Leica in books that are focussed on history or collecting:
these
persons are no engineers. In every other book, check, double check, triple
check to make sure the person knows what he talking about.

To sum up: we have an optical measurement done  on the lens to adjust the
flange focal distance and that distance should be  27.80mm. We have a
mechanical
measurement on the Leica body, which is the  distance from bayonet flange
and
the pressure plate rails which is 27.95mm. The  film gate is 0.2mm. If we
now
use a film with a total thickness (emulsion plus  base) of 0.13mm (APX25 as
example) the thickness of the film will not fit into  the film gate. There
is
some play and therefore the film will curl and curve  inwardly (away from
the
lens). By using a focal distance of 27.80mm, Leica will  ensure that the
film
when bowed a little, still will be correctly aligned in  relation to the
focal
plane. It is intriguing to note that thick colour neg  films of about 0.27mm
will fill the
film gate completely and the pressure plate will  press the film to a plane
position, instead of the curved position with thin  film emulsions.
Theoretically a thick film would have a better flatness than a  thin film.
Of course more
research is needed, but these investigations do show  that the information
in
the public domain is at best scanty or at worst  misleading.

Now for the Konica Hexar. Here I have only one  official fact: that is the
bayonet flange to the pressure plate rails of  28.00mm. But I do not have
official info about the flange distance to the film  rails (or film gate
distance).
Nor about the lens flange focal length. My own  measurements on one Hexar
body
and lens showed that the film gate had a  thickness of .24mm and the lens a
flange focal length distance of 27.71. On the  basis of these measurements
the
flange to film rail distance is 27.76mm. These  results are however no
reliable enough to draw firm conclusions. What I do know  from discussions
with
konica people is that their tolerances are wider than with  leica and are
choosen
such that the best fit of Hexar body to hexar lenses is  assured. The many
inconclusive reports about problems or the lack of problems  with fitting a
leica
lens on a Hexar body is partly to be explained by these  tolerances and
partly
by the unreliability of the reports themselves. The Konica  people at the
factory told me that the Hexar is designed for use with the  Hexanon lenses
and t
hat all dimensions inside the Hexar are based on that fact.  If a hexar user
fits a leica lens and he has problems, than it is caused by  these different
dimensions and/or the chain of tolerances add up unfavorably. If  he has no
problems: than he is plain lucky as the tolerances are such that they  are
close
to what is expected for leica bodies and/or his demands are such that  they
are
below the visibility threshold for the mismatch to show up.

This is not the end of the story. People would  expect quick solutions and
fast answers and move on to the next topic. That is  living in the fast and
superficial lane of user group discussions. Serious  research takes time and
experience and dedication: scarce resources in a hasty  world.

Replies: Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] UC-Hexanon 35/2 review by Erwin Puts? Anyone have it?)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] UC-Hexanon 35/2 review by Erwin Puts? Anyone have it?)