Subject: [Leica] Totally OT: now cycling on roads
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sat Nov 17 15:29:26 2007

I have cycled on-road only for twenty years or so. Most of it city
commuting in rush hour traffic. I am also a national examiner for the
Canadian Cycling Associations Can-Bike program (Effective Cycling in
the US) and teach a fair number of on-road cycling courses every year.

In my experience, it is density that makes the difference in driver's
behaviour; and, where you learn to drive is the level you feel
comfortable with. Rural drivers find small city traffic dangerous
with too much going on and small city drivers cringe when they have
to go to the big city.

Generally, drivers just want to get where they are going with a
minimum of hassles and delays. Riding properly keeps cyclists in the
view of other drivers and allows the other drivers to be able to deal
with cyclists properly. Naturally there are many factors to take into
account but, as long as the speed differential is not too high,
cyclists fare quite well on the street.

John