Subject: [Leica] Help for my computer problem?
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Wed Nov 21 16:21:56 2007

It sounds like your external hard drives are formatted as DOS or FAT16
volumes.
Select the external drive, do File->Get Info, and see what it says under
"Format:".
My external drives say "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

If your DVD drive spits out the DVD without allowing you to do anything,
that means that the drive believes it can't write on that disc. There are
oodles of different formats for DVDs, and it is easy
to buy discs that are in a format that older DVD drives don't know about. If
you click on "About this Mac" under the Apple menu, then click on the "More
info..." button, and click on the appropriate
sub-item under "Hardware", it will tell you what your DVD drive can do.
Exactly which one is appropriate depends on the version of the system you
are using. I click on "Disc Burning" under
"Hardware", and it says this:

PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-112D:

  Firmware Revision:    AC08
  Interconnect: ATAPI
  Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
  Cache:        2000 KB
  Reads DVD:    Yes
  CD-Write:     -R, -RW
  DVD-Write:    -R, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
  Write Strategies:     CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
  Media:        Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

The most primitive burnable DVD disc is a DVD-R. If your computer can handle
+R, you should be using those. Stay away from -RW and +RW and (for 2007 at
least) +R Double Layer.

My best bet is that you are putting DVD+R discs into a drive that can only
write DVD-R.