Subject: [Leica] Looking for info on Fred Herzog
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Nov 23 15:15:32 2007

At 1:37 PM -0800 11/23/07, joe weil wrote:
>I remember a while back there was discussion about Fred Herzog, a
>photographer living in Vancouver BC. I thought were was mention of book of
>his.  Unfortunately, his web site directs you to a gallery and does not
>mention the book at all.
>Is there a book of Fred Herzog's photographs? If so, what is the title?
>Thanks
>Joe Weil

I've known Fred for over 30 years; an interesting guy. Sonny directed
you to his book on Amazon. That really is more or less a catalog of
his exhibition that took place this spring at the Vancouver Art
Gallery. That was really the first big show that he had; and
certainly the first time that many of his photos were printed.
Previously he had had a show or two of small, local exhibitions and
better yet, slide shows. He had various shows, and he loved showing
them when people came over to his house.

The pictures are mainly Kodachromes, and a lot are on the original
ASA 10 stuff so it's very contrasty and hard to print. A local
Cibachrome printer who was truly excellent made some prints for him,
but anyone who's tried Cibachrome knows that trying to get a
reasonable range of gradations from something like the old Kodachrome
onto Cibachrome was an incredible ordeal, and contrast masking was
essential, as well as all other tricks. Fred never had a lot of
prints made.

He was head of the 'Bio-medical communications' department here at
UBC for many years, and had a dozen Leicas on numerous Reprovits and
Aristophots humming along for many years. The Aristophot setup I now
have I got through him. I also got 2 MDa's, one of which probably had
4 million exposures through it by our calculations, and the other not
far off.

When he came to Vancouver in the 50's he sunk a lot of the money he
made into documenting Vancouver on Kodachrome. In the 70's and later
he had other projects which consumed more of his photographic time,
but never completely left his early passion.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design