Subject: [Leica] Leica D lens 4/3rds question
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Nov 26 07:41:21 2007

Leonard Taupier <len-1@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to duplicate the DMR performance (or close) for my long
> lenses and I need good hi ISO performance, better then the 20D.

> The problem with the DMR is it doesn't exist, at least at a sane
> price if you're lucky to find one. And I expect the R10 to be out of
> my price range as well. For birding I like the 2X crop factor of
> 4/3rd, where the R10 most likely will be FF or better.

The DMR does take some looking and some $$$$ but people are finding and
purchasing them.  The closest substitute for the DMR is probably the 1Ds Mk
II.  The Canon has a slight edge in resolution, the DMR in color quality
and dynamic range.  The 1Ds Mk II (used) will set you back about as much as
the DMR + R8.

A crop factor is only an advantage if it results in a smaller, more
portable camera otherwise there's no advantage to having a chip maker tell
you which part of your lens' image circle to throw away.  With a larger
sensor (smaller crop factor) you can choose when and where to crop if you
find it nessesary.  I try not to crop if at all possible: if my pictures
aren't good enough it's because I'm not close enough.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft? Windows? and Linux web and application

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Leica D lens 4/3rds question)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Leica D lens 4/3rds question)