Subject: [Leica] NEC LCD Monitor Experiences???
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Nov 27 12:33:53 2007

Hi Frank,
If you're going to be using it for word processing, make sure you have
enough control for contrast and brightness, a lot of LCD (TFT) monitors
are too bright for all day working with text - in my job, translation,
eye-strain gets pretty rough when you're writing/reading around 50 - 60
pages a day. Best  of all is a control for  "backlight", but you only
get that in pretty expensive models.

An NEC monitor was on my list until I picked up a 19" Philips 190S at a
local discounter for a very reasonable price, it's one of the few
monitors that has an sRGB profile built in. I recently re-calibrated it
with Spyder 2 and I can see no difference between it and the LaCie CRT
I've been using up to now (it's being repaired at the moment, otherwise
I wouldn't have bought the LCD), and the sRGB colours are more or less
perfect. If you find one, the Philips is an excellent alternative.

NEC has  three ranges, AccuSync are reasonably priced consumer models,
MultiSync are commercial/professional multimedia models, and SpectraView
models are for graphic and image editing applications (and more expensive).
In Germany, NEC has an excellent reputation, their SpectraView models
are rated along with EIZO.
Consumer and pro models are rated above market leaders like Samsung.
You can read all the specs for the 80 series monitors on the NEC site here
http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Archive/
Cheers
Douglas

BTW the model you mention has now been discontinued.