Subject: [Leica] Leica Financials - M8 saves the day.
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Mon Dec 3 12:31:25 2007

Charlie,

Not sure where you are coming from, as the M cameras are all made in the EU,
in Germany or Leica's Portugal factory as far as I remember, I know the M8
is stamped Made in Germany.  All the current M lenses also, including the
new Summarits.  The R line was EU with some lenses made in Japan by Kyocera
from Leica designs, but since they are out of the photo business, I am
guessing those are now being made in Germany.  But then why should it matter
if the product meets Leica's or other manufacturers spec's and quality,
where it is made?  Zeiss seems to do well, and from what I can tell, most of
their photo lenses are made outside Germany.  Only 2 of the ZM line are made
in Germany, the rest are made in Japan.  One of the German lenses has yet to
make it to production as it seems to be permanently stuck in the redesign
cycle.

Gene