Subject: [Leica] RAW archiving AND Lightroom
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Dec 9 01:45:14 2007

Well ... I figured out my LightRoom problem.

I had saved my files in the archive that Lightroom works with
directly. This time I didn't let Lightroom convert them to DNG files.

I've always felt a bit suspicious about DNG files.

Ok ... their documented.

Ok ... NEF files, by implication, are not documented.

And ...

I am supposed to believe that Adobe can extract all possible
information (lossless conversion) from NEF to DNG when NEF is not
documented? Come on now. That's marketing by Adobe, not a question of
documentation or not.

Anyway. If you use Adobe's Lightroom you simply have to convert to their
format.

I re-installed LIghtroom with the repair option.

I rebooted.

I uninstalled LIghtroom completely.

All to no avail. Lightroom was freezing everytime I tried to go near
the Slideshow or Web tabs and most of the times when I tried to go
from Library to Develop.

So I renamed my archive where all of the NEF files were and forced
Lightroom to start from scratch.

I re-imported everything and allowed Lightroom to convert from NEF to DNG.

This time everything works.

Adobe Lightroom can, as it seems, not work with Nikon raw files. It
wants to convert (and lose information) to its own DNG format. Then it
works.

Digital photography is not a mature working tool, it is a moving target.

Daniel